Another 10 minutes’ walk from the dessert shop 高雄婆婆冰 Gao Xiong Po Po Shaved Ice, we arrived at 郭家肉粽 Kuo’s Rice Dumpling.
By now, we only had stomach space to share one 肉粽 Rice Dumpling (NT30) 😛
Interestingly, the rice dumpling was drenched with a sweet and savoury sauce and peanut powder. There were a mixture of lean and fatty meat within the rice dumpling. We thought it was pretty ok, but were not too used to the sauce.
- Location: 803高雄市鹽埕區北斗街19號, No. 19號, Beidou Street, Yancheng District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 803 (Google Maps)
- Direction: 13 min walk from Exit 2 of Kaohsiung MRT Orange Line Yanchengpu Station 高雄捷運橘線鹽埕埔站
- Website: www.kuo520.com (Facebook)
- Hrs: 7am – 11pm
We are back in Penang!
We had gotten off at Komtar Bus Terminal and making our way to our hotel from there.
When we were almost reaching the hotel, we spotted the rice dumpling shop that we went to back in 2011. We were now back for more!
- Special Golden Dumpling 雙黄加料大肉粽 (RM7.90): Densely packed glutinous rice with 2 salted egg yolk goodness, there was also plenty of fatty meat… Very sinful but delicious!
- Famous Yam Cake 驰名芋糕 (RM2.90): The aromatic yam flavour hit us before we even took a bite out of this smooth yam cake, awesome!
- Herbal Tea 罗汉果 (RM2.50): Served cold, it was a refreshing drink that was lightly sweetened with rock sugar.
Not bad for our first meal in Penang 🙂
- Location: 40 Lebuh Cintra 10100 George Town Pulau Pinang Malaysia
- Contact: 012-480 3308
- Hrs: 9am – 6pm
We were on our way to Hong Kong National Film Archives as our last stop for today’s Heritage Trail, and made a quick stop for a late lunch.
There were 2 restaurants with attractive neon signboards here, 太興 Tai Hing Roast (apparently a chain of roast meat restaurants), with roasted meat as specialty, and 靠得住 Trusty Congee King, with congee as specialty, with a seasonal special of rice dumpling.
Thinking that it would be hard to beat the roasted goose that we had yesterday, plus the picture of the rice dumpling looked so good, and since the English translation of 靠得住 is TRUSTWORTHY, we decided that 靠得住 it shall be!
[Incidentally, we realized while writing this post, that 靠得住 Trusty Congee King is actually a brand under 太興 Tai Hing 🙂 That probably explains why they are just side-by-side.)