Despite being so near to Johor Bahru, hubby and I had never venture there together before, firstly because of the fear of weekend crowds, and secondly, we always thought that we would need a car to travel within JB. However, for some unknown reasons, people around us had been talking about JB recently, and encouraging us to go on a weekday. So when Ms. K suggested going to JB together via public transport and exploring the area within walking distance of City Square, we readily agreed!
Here was our day trip itinerary:
- Brunch at Faculty of Caffeine
- Lunch at Restoran Ya Wang 鸭皇药材烧腊大王
- Tea break at Flowers in the Window
- Some shopping within City Square (J3-12A, 106 – 108, Jalan Wong Ah Fook, Bandar Johor Bahru, 80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia)
- Banana cake shopping at Hiap Choo Bakery located at 13, Jalan Tan Hiok Nee, Bandar Johor Bahru, 80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
There are quite a few cafes within walking distance from Johor Bahru City Square, and we tried 2 during our trip.
Faculty of Caffeine
Our first stop of the trip was to chill 😛 We shared a Waffle with Japanese Curry Soft Shell Crab (RM28.90 + 10% service charge + 6% GST as of Jun 2017), and tried a hot Latte (RM10++), Iced Apple Lemon (RM12++) and Iced Apple Pear (RM12++).
The waffle was pretty normal, but the soft shell crab was really salty 😮
Drinks-wise, the latte was not bad, and the juices were freshly squeezed and refreshing 🙂
Note: Free WiFi was available.
We ventured to Johor Bahru by bus today!
Lunch was at this popular restaurant, and we made it a point to arrive before 11.30am. It was actually getting crowded already 😮 We quickly got ourselves seated and got some recommendations from the staff on what to eat 🙂
- 碳烤药材鸭 Herbal Roast Duck (RM22 nett): Apparently this place acted as consultant for the chain 店小二 Dian Xiao Er in Singapore, and we thought the roast ducks were pretty comparable, i.e. tender and juicy!
- 叉烧烧肉 Honey BBQ Pork & Roast Pork (RM20): We definitely preferred the roast pork with its crispy skin 🙂 We would have preferred BBQ pork with a bit more fats 😛
- 亚叁妮罗红 Assam Red Tilapia (RM30): This was the clear winner of all the items that we tried! The fish was really fresh, and the assam gravy was oh-so-addictive 😀 I think this was a Today’s Special and not in the menu.
- 奶白菜 Taiwan White Cabbage (RM18): Pretty standard plate of vegetable, to make us feel less guilty about the sinful lunch, haha 😛
- 海燕窝 Sea Birdnest drink (RM6.50): We were curious about what 海燕窝 was, and it turned out to be rather crunchy and jelly-like. The drink was perhaps a bit more like 糖水 (sweet soup dessert), and it was quite nice.
Overall, a very enjoyable meal 🙂
Note: Above prices included 6% GST.