With the warning of upcoming typhoon, we ended up at the Canal City Hakata again. We were walking around for lunch inspiration and we were attracted by the huge anago!
We opted for 対馬産大穴子天丼 Tsushima Large Anago Tendon (¥1700) and 季节の天ぷら定食 Seasonal Tempura Set Meal (¥1400).
Deep frying everything a la order and by hand
Unlimited Tsukemono Pickled Cabbage and Takao’s specialty, Konbu Mentai, or Kelp and Cod Roe
対馬産大穴子天丼 Tsushima Large Anago Tendon
季节の天ぷら定食 Seasonal Tempura Set Meal
The huge anago was awesomely delicious! We also liked that they were not overly generous with the sauce 🙂 For the tempura set meal, each tempura was freshly deep fried in front of us, and served piece by piece as we ate, ensuring that each piece was fresh and hot. The batter was also quite light without being overly oily.
We were really glad that we came here for lunch 🙂
- Location: 〒812-0018 福岡県福岡市博多区住吉1丁目2−1 キャナルシティ博多4階, 1 Chome−2−1, Sumiyoshi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: Level 4 of Canal City Hakata
- Website: tempura-takao.jp
- Hrs: 11am – 11pm
We can’t come to Hakata without visiting 屋台 Yatai! We still recalled the very enjoyable yatai experience from many years ago, but we were unable to find the same stall during this visit. Nonetheless, we had read about a couple of very popular stalls, and decided to check out 屋台小金ちゃん Yatai Kokinchan. We arrived around 6pm, and there was already a queue!
めんたい玉子焼き Fried Spicy Cod Roe with Egg
焼きラーメン Fried Ramen Noodles
餃子 Fried Dumplings
We managed to try quite a few items, including:
- めんたい玉子焼き Fried Spicy Cod Roe with Egg (¥680): This was slightly spicy, salty and sweet, and we rather enjoyed the mixed flavours.
- 焼きラーメン Fried Ramen Noodles (¥700): This was the speciality of Kokinchan when we read the reviews. Hmm, we didn’t expect the sauce to be so sweet…
- 餃子 Fried Dumplings (¥380): Difficult to go wrong, and pretty standard.
- おでん Oden (¥130 each): We tried the コンニャク Konnyaku (I’m not sure if this is it), しいたけ shiitake mushroom, and はんべん, which was a puffy cake made of fish paste, and we realised it was that piece of oden which my friends would usually fight over for whenever we buy this standard oden pack for steamboat. Of course, it tasted as good as ever 😀
The food felt rather homely, and we really enjoy the experience of just hanging around the yatai 🙂
- Location: 〒810-0041 福岡県福岡市中央区天神2丁目14−13 天神三井ビル角, 2 Chome−14−13 Tenjin, Chūō-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: In front of Hotel Monterey La Soeur Fukuoka, at the corner of Tenjin Mitsui Building
- Website: yatai.fukuoka.jp/oyafuko/kokinchan
- Hrs: 6:30pm – 1:30am (Mon-Wed), 6:30pm – 2am (Fri-Sat)
Hubby said that we absolutely gotta go queue for this famous udon!
Since we were staying quite near the place, we figured we would be rather early… NOT 😛
We arrived just before 11.30am, to find a long queue outside, and we did not manage to get in the first seating. However, being a fuss-free place, customers did not linger and after 20 minutes, we were in!
After watching the impressive laser light fountain show at Canal City Hakata, we decided to look for food within the huge shopping mall itself.
There were a few options, and 平四郎 キャナルシティ店 廻転寿司 Heishirou conveyor belt sushi restaurant looked rather popular. Price ranged from ¥100 to ¥500 per plate (excluding tax), and we spent ¥3024 in total for 8 plates of sushi.
We gotta say that the fish were fresh, but a pity about the sushi rice…
|Contact (廻転寿司平四郎 キャナルシティ店):
- Location: 〒812-0018 福岡県福岡市博多区住吉1-2-1 キャナルシティ博多4F, 1 Chome-2-1 Sumiyoshi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken 812-0018, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 1 minute walk from 博多駅 Hakata Station
- Website: heishirou.com
- Hrs: 11am – 11pm
We were strolling along the shopping street when a half price 焼餃子 Pan-fried Gyoza and Beer advertisement caught our attention 😛
Queue-ing for discounts
焼餃子 Pan-fried Gyoza
水餃子 Steamed Gyoza
We had the 焼餃子 Pan-fried Gyoza (half price at ¥125 for 7 pieces), as well as the 水餃子 Steamed Gyoza (¥300 for 6). Boy, we were glad that we made this pit stop! The gyozas were very juicy and the skin was rather thin. We really enjoyed this snack food 😀
- Location: 〒812-0026 福岡県福岡市博多区上川端町5−108, 5-108 Kamikawabatamachi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken 812-0026, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 1 minute walk from 博多駅 Hakata Station
- Website: www.ninoni.jp
- Hrs: 5pm – 12am
We were just roaming along the streets after the bus tours, and being way past lunch time, we just randomly popped into a building that looked like there might have some food options.
寿庵 Moze attracted us over with the yummy-looking pork. After all, one should always check out 黒豚 Kurobuta while in 鹿児島 Kagoshima 😀
We were surprised to be led to a private room 😮 Having browsed the menu outside the restaurant earlier, we quickly settled for the 黒豚しゃぶしゃぶランチ Kurobuta Shabu Shabu Lunch Set (¥2484) and 鹿児島グルメMOZEランチ Kagoshima Gourmet Lunch Set (¥1944). We did not have to wait too long in the cosy room before our food arrived.
After visiting 桜島 Sakurajima, we returned to 鹿児島 Kagoshima in search of the famous and popular 黒かつ亭 中央駅本店 Kurokatsutei Kagoshima-Chuo Eki Honten for some delicious とんかつ Tonkatsu Deep Fried Pork Cutlet for dinner (they have another branch 黒かつ亭天文館店 Kurokatsutei Tenmonkan Branch in Kagoshima and one branch 黒かつ亭東京駅店 Kurokatsutei Tokyo Eki Branch in Tokyo Station).
黒豚 (Kurobuta) “Black Pork” refers to the skin colour of the animal, and are Berkshire pork that were originally imported to Kagoshima about 400 years ago.
We opted for the 上ロースかつ定食 Premium Loin Set (¥1,560) and 黒かつ亭定食 Loin & Fillet Set (¥1,380).
While the meat was juicy and had a good bite, we found the breaded crust to be a tad too oily. However, the generous amount of cabbage certainly helped to give it a refreshing lift. Surprisingly, we both felt that the simple カツカレー Curry Rice with Pork Cutlet that we found at 霧島神宮 Kirishima Jingu to be far more delicious. Perhaps the curry rice far exceeded our low expectations because it was relatively away from Kagoshima; while we had much higher expectations of the pork cuisine by restaurants located right in Kagoshima.
|黒かつ亭 中央駅本店 Kurokatsutei Kagoshima-Chuo Eki Honten (Main Store):
- Location: 〒890-0053 鹿児島県鹿児島市中央町16-9 中原ビル1F, Nakahara Building 1F, 16-9, Chuocho, Kagoshima-shi, Kagoshima-ken, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 5 min walk from East Exit of JR 鹿児島中央駅 Kagoshima-Chuo Station
- Website: www.kurokatutei.net (Facebook)
- Hrs: 11am – 3:30pm, 5pm – 10:00pm daily
We have always enjoyed the soup at 塚田農場 Tsukada Nojo in Singapore, and now we had the chance to try out at the 宮崎 Miyazaki outlet where it all started 🙂
Apparently, in 宮崎 Miyazaki, they use only free-range, home-bred domestic chicken. Only selected farms that have passed Miyazaki Prefecture’s stringent production conditions are allowed to breed this specific type of chicken, which produces leaner meat with well-marbled fat. Reading the description, we were more than ready to try all kinds of chicken cuisine 😀
Other than beef (still drooling from the unforgettable 宮崎牛 Miyazaki Beef), Miyazaki is also famous for chicken; in particular, チキン南蛮 Chicken Nanban and 焼き鳥 Yakitori Chicken are the 2 must-try dishes here.
丸万 Maruman was one of the highly-recommended restaurants to try the 焼き鳥 Yakitori Chicken, and we went to the 本店 original store to check it out.
We were led to the rooms upstairs because it was full downstairs (which also meant we were not able to see the chef in action 😦 ), which involved removal of shoes, and while there was only Japanese menu available, an English-speaking staff pointed to us which was the most popular dish, and also tried to explain what certain dishes were when we enquired.
It was a cold day, and we were resting from our excursion yesterday while craving for something soupy. A hot bowl of udon definitely seemed like an excellent idea for lunch 🙂
きっちょううどん Kitchou Udon is a chain of udon restaurants all over 宮崎 Miyazaki and one happened to be near our hotel along 橘通 Tachibanadori.
English pictorial menu was available, so ordering of udon was not an issue, but there were also some fried items available at the ordering counter, with only description in katakana. No worries, you can just pick whatever that looked interesting 😛
We opted for the 肉スぺシャル Niku-Special Udon (¥750), and added メンチカツ Menchi Katsu (¥120), which is ground meat with chopped onions breaded and deep-fried, イカ天 Ika Tempura (¥100), which is squid deep-fried with tempura batter.
The squid had a really addictive chewy texture, and the meat katsu was quite juicy. While the udon was slightly too soft for our preference, the entire bowl was filled with delicious ingredients (and lots of spring onion!). It was a meal that definitely warmed us up 🙂
- Location: 〒880-0001 宮崎県 宮崎市 橘通西3-3-27 宮崎アートセンタービル1階Miyazaki Art Centre Ground Floor, 3 Chome-3-27 Tachibanadori-nishi, Miyazaki-shi, Miyazaki-ken 880-0001, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 13 min walk from West Exit of 宮崎駅 Miyazaki Station
- Website: www.kitchouudon.com/shop/03/ (Unofficial Facebook)
- Hrs: 6am – 3am