Surprise, surprise! We found 板橋湳雅夜市 Banqiao Nanya Night Market, which we had never been to before 😛 Mainly because it was not so accessible via the metro and was not too near to where we usually stay, but there was a direct bus from 三峽老街 Sanxia Old Street, where we would be earlier in the day, so this was the perfect opportunity to check out this night market!
First stop was 蚵仔之家 House of Oysters, where we tried the 蚵仔餃 Fried Oyster Dumpling (NT60 for 4 pieces), and 蚵仔麵線 Oyster Mee Sua (NT90). The oyster dumplings were huge and juicy, with the juice just bursting out when we took the first bite 😮 The mixture of minced meat and oyster was very flavourful 🙂 The very generous amount of oysters made every mouthful of vermicelli a real treat 😀
麻油雞 Sesame Oil Chicken and 麻油麵線 Sesame Oil Mee Sua
蚵仔麵線 Oyster Mee Sua
Whole pot of sesame oil chicken
Next stop was 板橋(王)好吃麻油雞 Wang’s Delicious Sesame Oil Chicken. That huge pot of sesame chicken looked really appetising, so we decided to try some 麻油雞 Sesame Oil Chicken (NT100) and 麻油麵線 Sesame Oil Mee Sua (NT30). While the vermicelli was quite standard, the chicken was quite juicy and tender.
We walked around some more, but were really too full to try anything else. Gotta come back some time to try out the other food 🙂
- Location: 220新北市板橋區南雅東路79號 No. 79, Nanya East Road, Banqiao District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 220 (Google Maps)
- Direction: 9 minutes walk from Bannan Line Fuzhong Station 捷運板南線府中站
- Hrs: 3pm – 2:30am (Fri-Wed)
- Location: 220新北市板橋區南雅東路8號 No. 8, Nanya East Road, Banqiao District, New Taipei City, Taiwan 220 (Google Maps)
- Direction: 8 minutes walk from Bannan Line Fuzhong Station 捷運板南線府中站
- Website: Facebook
- Hrs: 6pm – 1am
It is said that チキン南蛮 Chicken Nanban, originated from 延岡市 Nobeoka City in 宮崎県 Miyazaki Prefecture. More precisely, it all started from 直ちゃん Naochan, a small restaurant which serves its fried chicken breast marinated with Nanban vinegar, without tartar sauce. Nowadays, there are also restaurants that use chicken thigh meat instead, as it is more juicy and tender.
The first restaurant that started serving this dish with tartar sauce was said to be おぐら Ogura, within 宮崎市 Miyazaki City. So it seemed fitting that our first dinner in Miyazaki would be here 🙂
We headed for おぐら本店 Ogura Honten, which was located in a little alley. The restaurant looked like a little cottage, and it was fairly quiet at 6.30pm on a Sunday (and soon we realised that Miyazaki was basically rather quiet all the time throughout our stay :P)
While we have yet to try out the 유가네닭갈비 Yoogane Dak-Galbi 柳氏家鐵板雞專門店 in Singapore, it is certainly not to be missed when in Busan, since this is where this popular Chicken Galbi brand first started out.
We got ourselves a medium 치즈퐁~닭 Fresh Cheese Chicken Galbi 新鮮的芝士雞排 (₩19,500) and a side order of 라면사라 Ramyeon 拉麵 (₩1,500).
Though the medium Chicken Galbi was meant for 2 to 3 pax, and the large Chicken Galbi (₩28,500) was meant for 3 to 4 pax, 4 of us could barely finish the medium portion, probably because we had eaten so much at Jinhae 😛
It was really thoughtful of them to give us aprons, so that we did not have to worry about getting our clothes dirty. We were almost about to attack our food after the staff brought the ingredients over and left our table, but the lady at the next table quickly stopped us, and gestured that the staff would help us with the cooking. How nice of her! Shortly after, the staff returned and did the cooking for us, while we tried to control our excitement.
Once ready, we picked up our chopsticks and attacked! The cheese was gooey and stretchy, and definitely enhanced the flavours of the spicy and tender chicken pieces. All I could say was that it was really quite addictive, and of course we were all fighting over the ramen too 😛
It was truly a fun and filling meal!
- Location: 부산광역시 부산진구 부전2동 242-21 242-21, Bujeon 2-dong, Busanjin-gu, Busan
- Website: www.yoogane.co.kr/en/
- Directions: Walk along Seomyeon-ro at Exit 7 of Seomyeon Station
- Hrs: 11am – 12am
We had made reservations via Chope after seeing the menu on the Chope website, but it turned out that the restaurant had already updated their menu quite a while ago 😦
Nonetheless, we decided try out some of the food, since we were here already (plus we were hungryyyyyyyy):
- 极品和牛包 Goubuli Buns with Wagyu Filling ($3.90++ per piece): This was served cold. What a waste of the beef!! 😦 Utter disappointment for what was meant to be the highlight of the restaurant.
- 三鲜猪肉包 Goubuli Buns with Pork and Seafood Filling ($3++ per piece): Served lukewarm, this was definitely better than the Wagyu version. Still, we have had better buns before.
- 口水鸡 Steamed Chicken with Szechuan Chilli Oil ($14.80++): Only 1-chilli rating, but it was definitely too spicy for us, haha!
- 脆皮烧肉拼叉烧 Crackling Pork Belly & Honey Glazed Barbecued Pork ($32++ for small): The pork belly skin was really crispy, and indeed crackling when we bit into it, and the meat was quite tender. The barbecued pork paled in comparison, but was still not bad.
- 咸鱼茄子豆腐煲 Eggplants and Tofu in Salted Fish Sauce ($22++ for small): The pot of aromatic goodness was pretty addictive, without being overly salty.
- 天津栗子鸡煲 Tianjin Style Claypot Stewed Chicken with Chestnuts ($22++ for small): This was pretty average.
Overall, we thought it was rather pricey, and very disappointing that the buns were so below standard.
- Location: 2 Bayfront Avenue, The Shoppes At Marina Bay Sands, Canal Level B2-02 S(018792)
- Website: www.9goubuli.com (Reservations)
- Hrs: 11am – 11pm
We came by the area to purchase my favourite 大排档 Dai Pai Dong 2-in-1 milk tea, so it seemed rather fitting that we should have dinner at the nearby dai pai dong 盛記 Sing Kee. There were many customers having seafood here, but we did not dare to try. Instead, we had:
- 時菜豬什 Assorted Pig Offal & Seasonal Vegetables (HK$48): The choi sum was not bad, and the pig offals were quite tender.
- 嘟嘟雞煲 Sizzling Chicken in Pot (HK$59): Oooh, this was quite addictive and the chicken pieces were quite tender.
- 干炒牛河 Stir-fry Beef Hor Fun (HK$50): Unfortunately, this was missing a little wok hei, and a tad too salty and oily. The beef slices were quite tender though.
- Location: 中環士丹利街82號舖 82 Stanley Street, Central (Google Maps)
- Nearest MTR: Island Line Hong Kong Station 港島綫香港站 (Take Exit C and walk 6 mins)
- Hrs: 11am – 3pm, 5:30pm – 11pm (Mon-Sat, alt Sun)
四季煲仔飯 Four Seasons Pot Rice was highly recommended by my cousin, and it was very near 美都餐室 Mido Cafe.
After a relaxing afternoon tea, we strolled to 四季煲仔飯 and discovered that a queue had already started forming just after 6pm. The queue moved quite quickly though, and we got our seats around 20 minutes later.
We got ourselves a 臘腸滑雞飯 Chinese Sausage and Chicken Claypot Rice (HK$53)，鴨蛋蠔餅 Duck Egg Oyster Cake (HK$20 for 2 pieces), and 通菜 Kangkong with Fermented Beancurd (HK$40). Food arrived quite quickly too!
The 鴨蛋蠔餅 Duck Egg Oyster Cake had the aromatic duck egg flavour and there was a generous amount of oysters. The batter was quite light and crispy. Overall, it was not too oily, and we really enjoyed it!
The rice in the 臘腸滑雞飯 Claypot Rice was really fragrant and soft! Really quite awesome, but the charred bits would stick and were not as crispy as the one we had at 坤記 the previous night. The Chinese sausage was yummy too! The chicken was very tender. We really liked the claypot rice here!
The vegetables was a good way to balance out the meal, and as usual, fresh and delicious 🙂
- Location: 油麻地鴉打街46-58號 46-58 Arthur Street, Yau Ma Tei (Google Maps)
- Nearest MTR: Tsuen Wan Line Yau Ma Tei Station 荃灣綫油麻地站 (Take Exit C and walk 2 mins)
- Hrs: 6pm – 1am
Keppel Club certainly brought back much memories for us 🙂
From VivoCity, we took a 30-minute stroll into Keppel Club… It was a fairly long walk in!
Since we had already tried Peony Jade a couple of times before, we wanted to check out PeraMakan this time.
Being a Monday, it was a really quiet day, and we had seats by the windows.
We enjoyed each dish, and like that the flavours were very balanced, without being overly spicy or sweet. We also liked the crackers that was served as appetiser.
We wanted to go grab a quick bite before meeting our friend, and Chicken Schnitzel Jianbing 鸡柳蔬菜煎饼 (A$9.90) from this fast food restaurant seemed like a good option!
Served in a huge paper bag, it was piping hot and huge! It was soft egg crepe on the outside, followed by a yummy crispy fried wanton skin-like batter, with all other ingredients such as fried chicken, vegetables and sauces were all rolled inside.
Sweet and savoury, it was a great snack for 2 to share, or one could be quite full eating it alone, for it was quite huge. Would be perfect if the chicken was larger… 🙂
- Location: 16/501 George St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia (Google Map)
- Website: www.facebook.com/HuangTaiJiCo
- Directions: Take the train to Townhall Station and walk along George Street
- Hrs: 8am – 9:30pm (Sun-Thu), 8am – 12:30am (Fri-Sat)
This was the last of our Starhub vouchers, and we decided to try out the Chicken Up branch at Jurong East.
New kid on the block near the area and we were quite lucky to get seats immediately on a Friday night!
Then we realised that it was already last order 5 minutes after we were seated, haha! Without hesitation, we ordered: