Ms K had identified a cafe 鬲离咖啡館 that she wanted to check out. Erm… We were not expecting the 紫薯書本千層蛋糕 Sweet Potato Mille Crepes Book (NT220) to look so unlike a book 😦 However, we could definitely taste the very fragrant and strong sweet potato flavours 🙂 A pity that the cake was served with the middle parts frozen, and it did not thaw much despite waiting.
Despite the relatively short trip, we managed to cover three night markets in 高雄 Kaohsiung 🙂
瑞豐夜市 Ruifeng Night Market
Since we were quite near 瑞豐夜市 Ruifeng Night Market, it naturally became our first night market to visit.
It has been many years since our last visit, and there were some changes to the variety of food available.
We sampled 厨窗卤味 where we ordered a variety of braised vegetables and meat items for NT195. The braised sauce was quite light and the items were not bad.
After a street of eating, we decided to take a cab to the famous 吳寶春(麥方)店-高雄旗艦店 Wu Pao Chun Bakery, as Ms K had read rave reviews about it.
We were stunned by the generosity of the sampled baked goods. Basically the staff would slice up the freshly-baked breads in huge portions for everyone to try. Definitely at least 3 times the sampling size that we would encounter in local shops. It was really too much for us that we had to start rejecting samples to the surprise of the staff, LOL!
The breads tasted very good, but the loaves were really too huge for a single breakfast and we ended up not buying any.
- Location: 802高雄市苓雅區四維三路19號, No. 19號, Siwei 3rd Road, Lingya District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 802 (Google Maps)
- Direction: 14 min walk from Exit 4 of Kaohsiung MRT Red Line Sanduo Shopping District Station 高雄捷運紅線三多商圈站
- Website: www.wupaochun.com
- Hrs: 10am – 8:30pm (weekdays), 9:30am – 8:30pm (weekends & public holidays)
Another 10 minutes’ walk from the dessert shop 高雄婆婆冰 Gao Xiong Po Po Shaved Ice, we arrived at 郭家肉粽 Kuo’s Rice Dumpling.
By now, we only had stomach space to share one 肉粽 Rice Dumpling (NT30) 😛
Interestingly, the rice dumpling was drenched with a sweet and savoury sauce and peanut powder. There were a mixture of lean and fatty meat within the rice dumpling. We thought it was pretty ok, but were not too used to the sauce.
- Location: 803高雄市鹽埕區北斗街19號, No. 19號, Beidou Street, Yancheng District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 803 (Google Maps)
- Direction: 13 min walk from Exit 2 of Kaohsiung MRT Orange Line Yanchengpu Station 高雄捷運橘線鹽埕埔站
- Website: www.kuo520.com (Facebook)
- Hrs: 7am – 11pm
A few minutes walk down the main road from 鴨肉珍 Duck Zhen, and we arrived at this lovely dessert shop selling awesome 芒果牛奶冰 Mango Milk Shaved Ice for NT100. The mango came in huge chunks and were oh-so-sweet. It was so shiok eating it!
- Location: 802高雄市鹽埕區七賢三路135號, No. 135號, Qixian 3rd Road, Yancheng District, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan 802 (Google Maps)
- Direction: 4 min walk from Exit 1 of Kaohsiung MRT Orange Line Yanchengpu Station 高雄捷運橘線鹽埕埔站
- Website: ice-cream-and-drink-shop-756.business.site
- Hrs: 9am – 12mn
We definitely needed some drinks by now 😛
The Classic Cold Brew (RM16) was really aromatic and the lingering taste after a sip was quite heavenly. The Mixed Fruit Tea (RM17.90) was quite refreshing, and the Cornpuccino (RM15) was interesting, but we thought the Cold Brew was the best! We also shared a sesame cheesecake which was not bad.
We liked the space here and chilled for a while before going for more shopping at the nearby Sutera Mall.
- Location: 65, Jalan Sutera Tanjung 8/3, Taman Sutera Utama, 81300 Skudai, Johor, Malaysia (Google Maps)
- Direction: 22 min drive from Johor Bahru CIQ Complex
- Website: Facebook
- Hrs: 1pm – 1am
We were really full but that didn’t stop us from having some local snacks 😛
In addition to deep fried Chinese New Year Cake 年糕, Restoran Wah Cai 3-in-1 Chinese Cake 华仔三合一招牌年糕 also sells a variety of fried snacks including cempedak, tapioca, sweet potatoes, yam, green bean, bananas and durians. Price ranges from RM 2 to RM 4.50 per piece.
We tried the Chinese New Year Cake 年糕 (yam and green bean flavours) and they were yummy! The batter was really crisp and didn’t feel too oily. I felt that the yam was really fragrant 🙂
- Location: 86, Jalan Pahlawan 2, Taman Ungku Tun Aminah, 81300 Skudai, Johor, Malaysia (Google Maps)
- Direction: 20 min drive from Johor Bahru CIQ Complex
- Website: Facebook
- Hrs: 10am – 4pm (Thu-Mon)
Paradigm Mall Johor Bahru is really big and spacious! We spent about 3 hours here but only covered a few shops 😛 This was also where we found this really comfy t-shirt which all 3 ladies ended buying 😀
In between shopping, we found time for drinks at TRDLO (Lot K02, Level 1). Drinks were not bad, and our friends were really interested in the Lunar New Year goodies on display 😛
Hubby and I also had to try Isaac Toast when we discovered a stall here (Lot K12J, Level 3)!
It tasted way better in Seoul… maybe because of the weather?
- Location: Jalan Bertingkat Skudai, Taman Bukit Mewah, 81200 Johor Bahru, Johor (Google Maps)
- Direction: 17 min drive from Johor Bahru CIQ Complex
- Website: www.paradigmmall.com.my/jb
- Hrs: 10am – 10pm
It’s time for tea break!
For RM58.30, we had a Mocha, Coffee Latte, a pot of tea and shared a cheese cake. Food and drinks were just alright, but the it was quite nice to chill here 🙂
My Liberica Coffee
- Location: 73, Jalan Molek 3/10, Taman Redang, 81100 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia (Google Maps)
- Direction: 19 min drive from Johor Bahru CIQ Complex
- Website: Homepage (Facebook)
- Hrs: 10:30am – 6:30pm (Mon-Thu), 12pm – 10pm (Fri-Sun)
(Permanently closed on 28th Mar 2018-see FB post at the end of post)
We had a bit of time left before we had to depart to catch our flight, and so we decided to check out a cafe. There were quite a few options in this area, but this one looked more inviting 🙂
With a 拿鐡 Latte (NT140), and 凍頂烏龍 Oolong (NT120), we had a great time just chilling out here.
- Location: 103台北市大同區赤峰街41巷8號 No. 8, Lane 41 Chifeng Street, Datong District, Taipei City, Taiwan 103 (Google Maps)
- Direction: 2 min walk from Exit 1 of Songshan-Xindian Line or Tamsui-Xinyi Line Zhongshan Station 松山新店線或淡水信義線中山站
- Website: Facebook
- Hrs: 10am – 6pm (Tue-Sun)