Our hotel staff recommended going to 華陰街 Huaying Street area for lunch, and we must say, it was a great recommendation!
We had been here during our previous trip, and unfortunately, the 麻醬涼麵 Sesame Cold Noodle stall had already closed down. So we kept walking, till we saw 2 long queues side-by-side, one for 脆皮鮮奶甜甜圈 Crispy Fresh Donuts (Taiwanese donuts that was apparently even better than the big brands), and the other for 三多屋爸爸嘴 Sando House, a place selling value-for-money sashimi.
This was our most adventurous meal of the trip, for we travelled entirely by bus (big and small) to reach this place 😛
There were quite a few restaurants selling roast goose, but we had our minds set on this place 深井裕記.
So many choices, but not enough stomach space, so we had to settled:
- Regular lower (i.e. drumstick portion, HK$165)
- Poached Goose Giblets (HK$90)
- Poached Chinese Cabbage and Jinhua Ham with Chicken Broth Soup in Casserole (HK$88)
Gotta say that the the long trip down was worth it! The goose meat was tender and the skin crispy, and the Chinese cabbage was really sweet!
- Location: 9 Sham Hong Road, Sham Tseng, New Territories, Hong Kong 香港新界深井深康路九號 (Google Maps)
- Nearest MTR: Tsuen Wan Line Tsuen Wan Station 荃灣綫荃灣站 (Take Green Bus 96 or 96M)
- Website: yuekee.com.hk (Facebook)
- Hrs: 11am – 11pm
With the warning of upcoming typhoon, we ended up at the Canal City Hakata again. We were walking around for lunch inspiration and we were attracted by the huge anago!
We opted for 対馬産大穴子天丼 Tsushima Large Anago Tendon (¥1700) and 季节の天ぷら定食 Seasonal Tempura Set Meal (¥1400).
Deep frying everything a la order and by hand
Unlimited Tsukemono Pickled Cabbage and Takao’s specialty, Konbu Mentai, or Kelp and Cod Roe
対馬産大穴子天丼 Tsushima Large Anago Tendon
季节の天ぷら定食 Seasonal Tempura Set Meal
The huge anago was awesomely delicious! We also liked that they were not overly generous with the sauce 🙂 For the tempura set meal, each tempura was freshly deep fried in front of us, and served piece by piece as we ate, ensuring that each piece was fresh and hot. The batter was also quite light without being overly oily.
We were really glad that we came here for lunch 🙂
- Location: 〒812-0018 福岡県福岡市博多区住吉1丁目2−1 キャナルシティ博多4階, 1 Chome−2−1, Sumiyoshi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: Level 4 of Canal City Hakata
- Website: tempura-takao.jp
- Hrs: 11am – 11pm
Hubby said that we absolutely gotta go queue for this famous udon!
Since we were staying quite near the place, we figured we would be rather early… NOT 😛
We arrived just before 11.30am, to find a long queue outside, and we did not manage to get in the first seating. However, being a fuss-free place, customers did not linger and after 20 minutes, we were in!
After a long train ride from Kumamoto to Hakata, and dropping our luggage at our hotel, we went in search for lunch.
We still recalled the very nice もつ鍋 Motsu Nabe which we had tried at a yatai stall in Fukuoka years ago. So when we saw this restaurant specialising in Motsu Nabe, we went in without hesitation.
We ordered the Motsu Nabe Set Meal for 2 pax (¥2560), where we could opt for either rice or Champon noodles. The set also included sides such as Hakata Spicy Cod Roe (raw), Okyuto (seaweed jelly), and pickles (citron radish).
We enjoyed the side dishes, but the Motsu Nabe was quite a disappointment with very little offals… There was probably much more tofu than anything else 😦 The soup and noodles were not bad though.
Note: Menu was available in English, Korean, and Chinese, so it was fairly easy to order.
We were just roaming along the streets after the bus tours, and being way past lunch time, we just randomly popped into a building that looked like there might have some food options.
寿庵 Moze attracted us over with the yummy-looking pork. After all, one should always check out 黒豚 Kurobuta while in 鹿児島 Kagoshima 😀
We were surprised to be led to a private room 😮 Having browsed the menu outside the restaurant earlier, we quickly settled for the 黒豚しゃぶしゃぶランチ Kurobuta Shabu Shabu Lunch Set (¥2484) and 鹿児島グルメMOZEランチ Kagoshima Gourmet Lunch Set (¥1944). We did not have to wait too long in the cosy room before our food arrived.
It was a cold day, and we were resting from our excursion yesterday while craving for something soupy. A hot bowl of udon definitely seemed like an excellent idea for lunch 🙂
きっちょううどん Kitchou Udon is a chain of udon restaurants all over 宮崎 Miyazaki and one happened to be near our hotel along 橘通 Tachibanadori.
English pictorial menu was available, so ordering of udon was not an issue, but there were also some fried items available at the ordering counter, with only description in katakana. No worries, you can just pick whatever that looked interesting 😛
We opted for the 肉スぺシャル Niku-Special Udon (¥750), and added メンチカツ Menchi Katsu (¥120), which is ground meat with chopped onions breaded and deep-fried, イカ天 Ika Tempura (¥100), which is squid deep-fried with tempura batter.
The squid had a really addictive chewy texture, and the meat katsu was quite juicy. While the udon was slightly too soft for our preference, the entire bowl was filled with delicious ingredients (and lots of spring onion!). It was a meal that definitely warmed us up 🙂
- Location: 〒880-0001 宮崎県 宮崎市 橘通西3-3-27 宮崎アートセンタービル1階Miyazaki Art Centre Ground Floor, 3 Chome-3-27 Tachibanadori-nishi, Miyazaki-shi, Miyazaki-ken 880-0001, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 13 min walk from West Exit of 宮崎駅 Miyazaki Station
- Website: www.kitchouudon.com/shop/03/ (Unofficial Facebook)
- Hrs: 6am – 3am
Our second stop today was the nearby Hyde & Co for lunch.
This was a small but popular cafe, and was almost full house at 1pm!
- The Bomb ($13.90 for half portion): We liked that there was half portions (4 pieces) available. The prawns were fresh, and the chye poh (pickled radish) omelette as pizza topping was definitely something interesting, but the samba chinchalok spread was too spicy for us, and the pizza base was too hard. Also, our pizza was kinda burnt.
- Hyde’s Chilli Crab Pasta ($22.90): There was a generous amount of Blue Swimmer crab meat, and the spicy Arrabiata sauce had sufficient kick without being overly spicy. It complemented the linguine well, and we enjoyed the pasta very much.
- My Fair Lady ($6.50): We requested for the iced tea to be without sugar. The iced Earl Grey Tea with milk was light with a hint of rose. Quite lovely.
Note: Wi-Fi and water (including hot water!) is available for free.
We ventured to Johor Bahru by bus today!
Lunch was at this popular restaurant, and we made it a point to arrive before 11.30am. It was actually getting crowded already 😮 We quickly got ourselves seated and got some recommendations from the staff on what to eat 🙂
- 碳烤药材鸭 Herbal Roast Duck (RM22 nett): Apparently this place acted as consultant for the chain 店小二 Dian Xiao Er in Singapore, and we thought the roast ducks were pretty comparable, i.e. tender and juicy!
- 叉烧烧肉 Honey BBQ Pork & Roast Pork (RM20): We definitely preferred the roast pork with its crispy skin 🙂 We would have preferred BBQ pork with a bit more fats 😛
- 亚叁妮罗红 Assam Red Tilapia (RM30): This was the clear winner of all the items that we tried! The fish was really fresh, and the assam gravy was oh-so-addictive 😀 I think this was a Today’s Special and not in the menu.
- 奶白菜 Taiwan White Cabbage (RM18): Pretty standard plate of vegetable, to make us feel less guilty about the sinful lunch, haha 😛
- 海燕窝 Sea Birdnest drink (RM6.50): We were curious about what 海燕窝 was, and it turned out to be rather crunchy and jelly-like. The drink was perhaps a bit more like 糖水 (sweet soup dessert), and it was quite nice.
Overall, a very enjoyable meal 🙂
Note: Above prices included 6% GST.
After checking out and depositing our luggage with the hotel, we went to the hotel-recommended 동방영양센터 (Dongbang Yeongyang Center) Oriental Nutrition Center 東方營養中心, that specialised in 삼계탕 (Samgyetang) Ginseng Chicken Soup 蔘雞湯.
Despite the staff who kept saying that the chicken was very small, we ordered only 1 set (₩14,000) as I did not have much of an appetite. I guess they were not too happy with us, but the restaurant was fairly empty while we were there.
The samgyetang really did wonders for my blocked nose 😛
The soup itself was quite light, and the chicken quite tender. Again, it came with accompanying dip and side dishes. Overall, quite a decent meal, and rather filling for 2 of us.
From here, it was an easy walk to 덕수궁 Deoksugung Palace 德壽宮, which was our next destination.
- Location: 북창동 42-2 동화빌딩 서울 중구 세종대로18길 14, Bukchangdong 42-2 Fairytale Building Sejong Daero Road, Jung-gu, Seoul
- Directions: See directions here
- Hrs: 9am – 11pm