With the warning of upcoming typhoon, we ended up at the Canal City Hakata again. We were walking around for lunch inspiration and we were attracted by the huge anago!
We opted for 対馬産大穴子天丼 Tsushima Large Anago Tendon (¥1700) and 季节の天ぷら定食 Seasonal Tempura Set Meal (¥1400).
Deep frying everything a la order and by hand
Unlimited Tsukemono Pickled Cabbage and Takao’s specialty, Konbu Mentai, or Kelp and Cod Roe
対馬産大穴子天丼 Tsushima Large Anago Tendon
季节の天ぷら定食 Seasonal Tempura Set Meal
The huge anago was awesomely delicious! We also liked that they were not overly generous with the sauce 🙂 For the tempura set meal, each tempura was freshly deep fried in front of us, and served piece by piece as we ate, ensuring that each piece was fresh and hot. The batter was also quite light without being overly oily.
We were really glad that we came here for lunch 🙂
- Location: 〒812-0018 福岡県福岡市博多区住吉1丁目2−1 キャナルシティ博多4階, 1 Chome−2−1, Sumiyoshi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: Level 4 of Canal City Hakata
- Website: tempura-takao.jp
- Hrs: 11am – 11pm
We can’t come to Hakata without visiting 屋台 Yatai! We still recalled the very enjoyable yatai experience from many years ago, but we were unable to find the same stall during this visit. Nonetheless, we had read about a couple of very popular stalls, and decided to check out 屋台小金ちゃん Yatai Kokinchan. We arrived around 6pm, and there was already a queue!
めんたい玉子焼き Fried Spicy Cod Roe with Egg
焼きラーメン Fried Ramen Noodles
餃子 Fried Dumplings
We managed to try quite a few items, including:
- めんたい玉子焼き Fried Spicy Cod Roe with Egg (¥680): This was slightly spicy, salty and sweet, and we rather enjoyed the mixed flavours.
- 焼きラーメン Fried Ramen Noodles (¥700): This was the speciality of Kokinchan when we read the reviews. Hmm, we didn’t expect the sauce to be so sweet…
- 餃子 Fried Dumplings (¥380): Difficult to go wrong, and pretty standard.
- おでん Oden (¥130 each): We tried the コンニャク Konnyaku (I’m not sure if this is it), しいたけ shiitake mushroom, and はんべん, which was a puffy cake made of fish paste, and we realised it was that piece of oden which my friends would usually fight over for whenever we buy this standard oden pack for steamboat. Of course, it tasted as good as ever 😀
The food felt rather homely, and we really enjoy the experience of just hanging around the yatai 🙂
- Location: 〒810-0041 福岡県福岡市中央区天神2丁目14−13 天神三井ビル角, 2 Chome−14−13 Tenjin, Chūō-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: In front of Hotel Monterey La Soeur Fukuoka, at the corner of Tenjin Mitsui Building
- Website: yatai.fukuoka.jp/oyafuko/kokinchan
- Hrs: 6:30pm – 1:30am (Mon-Wed), 6:30pm – 2am (Fri-Sat)
Hubby said that we absolutely gotta go queue for this famous udon!
Since we were staying quite near the place, we figured we would be rather early… NOT 😛
We arrived just before 11.30am, to find a long queue outside, and we did not manage to get in the first seating. However, being a fuss-free place, customers did not linger and after 20 minutes, we were in!
After watching the impressive laser light fountain show at Canal City Hakata, we decided to look for food within the huge shopping mall itself.
There were a few options, and 平四郎 キャナルシティ店 廻転寿司 Heishirou conveyor belt sushi restaurant looked rather popular. Price ranged from ¥100 to ¥500 per plate (excluding tax), and we spent ¥3024 in total for 8 plates of sushi.
We gotta say that the fish were fresh, but a pity about the sushi rice…
|Contact (廻転寿司平四郎 キャナルシティ店):
- Location: 〒812-0018 福岡県福岡市博多区住吉1-2-1 キャナルシティ博多4F, 1 Chome-2-1 Sumiyoshi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken 812-0018, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 1 minute walk from 博多駅 Hakata Station
- Website: heishirou.com
- Hrs: 11am – 11pm
We were strolling along the shopping street when a half price 焼餃子 Pan-fried Gyoza and Beer advertisement caught our attention 😛
Queue-ing for discounts
焼餃子 Pan-fried Gyoza
水餃子 Steamed Gyoza
We had the 焼餃子 Pan-fried Gyoza (half price at ¥125 for 7 pieces), as well as the 水餃子 Steamed Gyoza (¥300 for 6). Boy, we were glad that we made this pit stop! The gyozas were very juicy and the skin was rather thin. We really enjoyed this snack food 😀
- Location: 〒812-0026 福岡県福岡市博多区上川端町5−108, 5-108 Kamikawabatamachi, Hakata-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka-ken 812-0026, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 1 minute walk from 博多駅 Hakata Station
- Website: www.ninoni.jp
- Hrs: 5pm – 12am
After a long train ride from Kumamoto to Hakata, and dropping our luggage at our hotel, we went in search for lunch.
We still recalled the very nice もつ鍋 Motsu Nabe which we had tried at a yatai stall in Fukuoka years ago. So when we saw this restaurant specialising in Motsu Nabe, we went in without hesitation.
We ordered the Motsu Nabe Set Meal for 2 pax (¥2560), where we could opt for either rice or Champon noodles. The set also included sides such as Hakata Spicy Cod Roe (raw), Okyuto (seaweed jelly), and pickles (citron radish).
We enjoyed the side dishes, but the Motsu Nabe was quite a disappointment with very little offals… There was probably much more tofu than anything else 😦 The soup and noodles were not bad though.
Note: Menu was available in English, Korean, and Chinese, so it was fairly easy to order.
After a day of train-riding, and after dropping our luggage at our hotel, we went in search for dinner. Google suggested a popular Kumamoto ramen restaurant near 熊本駅 Kumamoto Station, so off we went looking for 黑亭 Kokutei in the light drizzle.
Though it was dinner time, there wasn’t much of a queue, and we got into the restaurant after about 10 minutes of waiting. While waiting, there was an English menu available for us to browse.
玉子入りラーメン (Tamago Iri Ramen) Ramen with Egg
豚そぼろ丼 (Buta Soboro Don) Rice Bowl with Pork and Vegetables
特製ギョーザ Special Gyoza
We shared a Ramen Set (¥1290) consisting of 玉子入りラーメン (Tamago Iri Ramen) Ramen with Egg, 豚そぼろ丼 (Buta Soboro Don) Rice Bowl with Pork and Vegetables, and 特製ギョーザ Special Gyoza. We thought the food was pretty decent 🙂
Note that there are 2 outlets, and you can check its website for the locations.
|熊本ラーメン黒亭本店 Kokutei Main Store:
- Location: 〒860-0051 熊本県熊本市西区二本木2丁目1-23, 2 Chome−1−23, Nihongi, Nishi-ku, Kumamoto-shi, Kumamoto-ken, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 5 minutes walk from JR 熊本駅 Kumamoto Station
- Website: www.kokutei.co.jp (Facebook)
- Hrs: 10:30am – 8:30pm
We actually attempted to walk in for lunch the previous day, but it was fully booked for lunch and dinner. Lunch today was fully booked too, so we were pretty glad that we managed to secure seats for tonight. We had already pre-ordered the 霧島コース Kirishima Course dinner set (¥14742 for 2 sets) at the point of booking, so we were led to our seats very promptly as we waited for the spread.
While we were waiting for the food to arrive, we were presented with both English and Chinese instructions on how to enjoy the 黒豚しゃぶしゃぶ Kurobuta Shabu Shabu. We gotta say, the Chinese instructions were much more comprehensive 😛
The food, from the appetisers, to the different cuts of meat, to the noodles and dessert, were simply awesome! If you could only splurge on one meal in Kagoshima, this would definitely be a good option 🙂
|あぢもり Adimori (or Ajimori):
- Location: 〒892-0843 鹿児島県鹿児島市千日町13-21, 13-21, Sennichi-cho, Kagoshima-shi, Kagoshima-ken, Japan (Google Maps)
- Directions: 5 minutes walk from the 鹿児島市電 Kagoshima City Tram 天文館通電停 Tenmonkan Dori Tram Stop (Route 1 / Route 2, both Stop No. 07)
- Website: adimori.com (Facebook)
- Hrs: 11:30am – 2:30pm, 5:30pm – 9:30pm (Thu to Tue)
We were exploring the area near our hotel after the bus tour, and it was rather late by the time our stomachs called out to us 😮
We had wandered to 天文館公園 Tenmonkan Park, and Google search showed us that there was an 居酒屋 Izakaya just opposite us! Despite being so near, it took us a little while to find the entrance 😛
We had to remove our shoes upon entering, and were pretty lucky to get the last table. Once we settled down, we were presented with a 100% Japanese menu without pictures or food models, haha!
We poured over the menu and had a fun time trying to decipher some of the items with our limited vocabulary. The friendly staff also tried his best to explain what some of the items were, and gave us some recommendations.
We were just roaming along the streets after the bus tours, and being way past lunch time, we just randomly popped into a building that looked like there might have some food options.
寿庵 Moze attracted us over with the yummy-looking pork. After all, one should always check out 黒豚 Kurobuta while in 鹿児島 Kagoshima 😀
We were surprised to be led to a private room 😮 Having browsed the menu outside the restaurant earlier, we quickly settled for the 黒豚しゃぶしゃぶランチ Kurobuta Shabu Shabu Lunch Set (¥2484) and 鹿児島グルメMOZEランチ Kagoshima Gourmet Lunch Set (¥1944). We did not have to wait too long in the cosy room before our food arrived.